1. The people who usually do this lawn-wide bioterrorism are NEVER actually outside playing or lounging in their lawns! They are on the sidewalk, the patio, or, more likely, holed up inside the house. So why bother with making your lawn bug-free?
2. This makes sense, right? I mean, who wants to hang out with carcinogenic chemicals?
3. Almost every county in Florida already sprays for mosquitoes. In our county, I'm pretty sure it's not 2,4-D or anything like that, but this other compound that is supposedly harmless to humans, but binds the mosquitoe's wings together so that the newly hatched mosquitoes can't fly. It may be harmless (I doubt it) but it also doesn't seem terribly effective. Come take laundry off the line in my back yard at 5 pm.
4. Only about 1% of insects in your yard and garden are actually harmful. So the other 99%, which include bees that pollinate your flowers, and butterflies that make you say "oh, how pretty!" are also getting torched. Not fair.
5. For things like wasps, black widow spiders, termites, and fire ants, you can spot-exterminate. Or, just have the pest control people spray around the perimeter of your house, as infrequently as you can stand it.
6. It's Florida, people. I am convinced that humans were not actually meant to live here. I think we should all leave, immediately, and let the fire ants, pythons, water moccasins, black widows, and cockroaches have a good ol' time before it's all underwater in 50 years. Just accept that bugs are part of the equation.
7. We have free, natural, biodynamic, native pest control constantly patrolling our neighborhood!
|ibises eating bugs|